Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Language Log: Freedom of speech: more famous than Bart Simpson

Language Log: Freedom of speech: more famous than Bart Simpson

I believe I have mentioned here my affinity for stories about surveys, and how we report and interpret them. remember my blogging about the Lt Col who incorrectly talked about speeding, or even my referring you, dear class, to the book Freakanomics? Or perhaps, you remember my discussing The Numbers Guy at the Wall Street Journal?

Well, this story is, as my brother points out, right up my alley.

This "language log" tackles the all important nature of spin, asking essentially how one can spin a story to get the most effect. While I appreciate everything the author puts forward, what the two greatest contributions, in my mind, are the a) point the author makes about how people, including other reporters, will easily mis-understand what is meant and then report it incorrectly, and b) how positive stories are passed for negative ones.

It's a good read. Go check it out!

The Prof (or, if you are from London-- The Proff. Don't ask ME why--ask her! LOL)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home